America, Speedmaster, or another Bonnie

Have questions about the event or the area? Want to plan a ride in with others who are coming? Here's the place for it.

Moderator: mark

America, Speedmaster, or another Bonnie

Postby NewOldSkool » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:24 pm

Ok, so I know this is way to premature... but I want a second bike already! I want a second one for touring and riding two up. I know my Bonnie can do it, but I want that one cafe'd out and a second one for the mrs to enjoy with me. So here is my question, I love the Speedy but is it as good two up as an America, or should I get another Bonnie?
Winter sucks!
NewOldSkool
N00b

Postby Hedge » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:23 pm

Why not buy a Thruxton and cafe that out and leave the Bonne for you and the Mrs?
Proud to be an American Infidel!
Hedge
Vermontah

Postby NewOldSkool » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:36 pm

Well, my Bonnie is already starting to look more like a Thrux now anyway. I traded out foot control for a Thrux rearset, and I am getting clip-ons. So Would want to almost the same thing. Not worried about the cam differences as I will add a BB kit soon enough, and I have the 790cc cams now. I love the look of the Speedmaster, but are they the same deal as the Bonnie and Thrux... same basically differently tuned?
Winter sucks!
NewOldSkool
N00b

Postby Hedge » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:59 pm

UncleCharlie can tell you anything you want to know about BA's and Speedy's he has one.

I would take a hike over to http://www.bonnevilleamerica.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
Sign up and state your case. These are a real bunch of nice fellas over there and I think they purged out all the men of cloth so you need not worry about what you Fucking say or how you God Dam feel!
Hedge
Vermontah

Postby mark » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:07 pm

Since you're looking to ride two-up, you might want to consider a Tiger. I think it would be a much more comfortable long-distance bike than any of the twins. And of course, there's always the Rocket III if you want a comfortable cruiser.

Personally, I'm buying a Suzuki V-Strom 650 for long-distance touring. I'd love to stick with Triumph if they made anything like it, but they don't. (I want something a little more dirt-worthy than the new Tiger, and also I don't need that much power and don't want to spend that much money.)

--mark
'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
mark
Site Admin

New Bike

Postby TonUp » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:32 pm

I agree with Mark.

I would get the Tiger for 2 up long distance sport touring if you want a Triumph. So many choices and so little time. Then I also like the Speed master a lot for crusing!

Ton Up!
BMC airfilter, 45 tooth rear sprocket, MIVV GP Carbon Fiber Exhaust, Lithium Battery, over 22lbs weight reduction, Custom Mapping, Skyking frame sliders, Pirelli Supercorsa SP, 112 octane fuel and a smile
TonUp
Vermontah

Postby Hedge » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:41 pm

My buddy down the street has a Tiger and although it has that comfortable upright look that the V-Strom has and looks real comfortable for the driver, I cannot see how you guys feel it could be comfortable for the passenger. Maybe I'm missing something here?
Hedge
Vermontah

Postby bennybmn » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:02 pm

For two up riding, you'd probly want a touring seat or Corbin for either an America or Speedy, so honestly 6 in one, half dozen the other. Whichever paint and wheels speak to ya! If you can wait, you'll have a BUNCH to check out, sit on, bonder, etc at the rally. if Martin comes, he's got a shield, bags, sissy bar, etc. He even made an extra gas tank out of a mini-keg!
02 BA, lots of goodies...
I may live in NY, but I grew up in VT! I'm a local for this one...
bennybmn
Recent import

Postby drlapo » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:47 am

how about pratical two up at a reasonable price? consider a used BMW R bike
I still use my 85 R80S when I need to go "somewhere" and it contiues to amaze and delight me and its a classic
drlapo
Recent import

BMW R80

Postby TonUp » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:38 pm

The R80 is a great bike, in 1985 BMW went to the monoshock configuration, GREAT BIKE! I would like to find a R80RT.

Tito

Ton Up!
BMC airfilter, 45 tooth rear sprocket, MIVV GP Carbon Fiber Exhaust, Lithium Battery, over 22lbs weight reduction, Custom Mapping, Skyking frame sliders, Pirelli Supercorsa SP, 112 octane fuel and a smile
TonUp
Vermontah

BMW R80

Postby drlapo » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:08 pm

TonUp, I may have a line on an 85 or 86 R80RT in red. a guy at my club had one for sale late last year for $3000+/- do you want me to follow up on it?
drlapo
Recent import

Re: BMW R80

Postby TonUp » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:51 pm

drlapo wrote:TonUp, I may have a line on an 85 or 86 R80RT in red. a guy at my club had one for sale late last year for $3000+/- do you want me to follow up on it?

Not yet! not quite ready! What club?

I belong to the BMWRA, BMWMOV and the Vintage BMW Club!

Ton Up!
TonUp
Vermontah

Postby JEnfield » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:56 pm

Hell man its only money buy one of each and you will have to perfect stable. I have a bonne and now a s3 so I would buy a American for 2 up.

Jimmy
Didn't your mother warn you that there are people like me!
JEnfield
Vermontah

Postby drlapo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:56 pm

my club is the Pachaug Outdoor club in Griswold CT
i'm the president of this Sportsman's club which promotes hunting, fishing and shooting sports
drlapo
Recent import

Return to Discussion forum