No more Triumph of Buffalo, NY

Have questions about the event or the area? Want to plan a ride in with others who are coming? Here's the place for it.

Moderator: mark

No more Triumph of Buffalo, NY

Postby KingOfFleece » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:44 pm

Buck's Motorsports is dropping Triumph as of Nov 10, 2017.
All inventory is on sale until then. May be a deal in there for somebody.

Buffalo and Rochester dropped them and, if my information is correct, 4 other Northeast dealers will be opting out as well.
As I hear it Triumph NA is impossible to deal with. Sad day as Buffalo was number 3 in the nation not too long ago.
KingOfFleece
Recent import

Re: No more Triumph of Buffalo, NY

Postby amrehm » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:27 am

Thats too bad. My dealer said the same thing years ago before they closed up. Hopefully corporate wakes up.

alan
'16 bmw r1200gs
'13 white Tiger 800xc
'06 bonne & cozy sidecar

4 Wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!
amrehm
Recent import

Postby jefff1 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:44 am

:cry: I knew it...someday I would be an orphan :(
Raised on the farm to be tough and work hard...Don't expect anything you haven't worked hard for..Appreciate what you've earned..Be happy and thankful..
jefff1
Recent import

Postby KingOfFleece » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:36 am

Rochester may be back in play. Looks like the auto group that bought them will keep Big T, for now.
KingOfFleece
Recent import

Postby KingOfFleece » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:28 pm

You have until Nov 10. Some smoking deals on bikes to be had.
www.bucksmotorsports.com
KingOfFleece
Recent import

Postby mark » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:53 pm

I hope Triumph UK realizes how badly their NA management is shooting them in the foot and does something about it. They're hemorrhaging dealers at a ridiculous rate. Soon the only dealers that will be able to maintain a Triumph relationship will be high-volume big-city ones, which will leave huge swaths of North America without the ability to purchase a Triumph. Absolutely idiotic business model, and the lack of thought behind it (or maybe the intentional attempt at snobbish exclusivity) pisses me off enough that I kind of want to tell Triumph to fuck off and shift my attention to KTM... except that I like the bikes and community too much to do that.

--mark
'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
mark
Site Admin

Postby KingOfFleece » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:38 pm

Well said. Now, that said, don't hold your breath for the UK to figure it out.
KingOfFleece
Recent import

Postby AtticaTiger » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:36 pm

Yeah Rochester just hosted the Speedmaster rollout. I bought my Tiger 800 there in September. Those English assholes are smug and arrogant. Good thing my local Yamaha/Suzuki shop works on my Triumph because Rochester probably won't be far behind. They are mainly a Harley dealer that also sells Honda, Suzuki, Triumph, etc and they don't have much room to stock many more bikes.
A dirty bike is a happy bike....

2013 Tiger 800 ABS
2020 Suzuki DR 650
AtticaTiger
Recent import

Postby KingOfFleece » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:43 am

I think Rochester Triumph is no more. I also hear KustomWorks next to Basil Chevy picked up Triumph. I know the guy there was at Buck's to see the Triumph reps when Jan was throwing them out.
KingOfFleece
Recent import

Postby bonnevillebilly » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:29 am

I WAS !.... ready to put a good down payment on one of the new Speedmasters.
My Swansea Mass. Triumph dealer, Just recently said Fuck you to Triumph also. :cry:
I have been battling back and forth with my self since last year on whether or not to buy a new bike. :dunno:
After talking with my dealer, and hearing what kind Assholes! Triumph is being to all the dealers, I said fuck them Too.
I will keep my old Bonny for a little longer.
I am looking forward to ripping up those VT. mountain roads.

Bill
bonnevillebilly
Recent import

Postby GerryP » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:37 am

bonnevillebilly wrote:I WAS !.... ready to put a good down payment on one of the new Speedmasters.
My Swansea Mass. Triumph dealer, Just recently said Fuck you to Triumph also. :cry:
I have been battling back and forth with my self since last year on whether or not to buy a new bike. :dunno:
After talking with my dealer, and hearing what kind Assholes! Triumph is being to all the dealers, I said fuck them Too.
I will keep my old Bonny for a little longer.
I am looking forward to ripping up those VT. mountain roads.

Bill

Bill,

last year we had 7 Guzzi's at the BTB, why don't you join us?? :lmao:

Gerry
2015 Moto Guzzi Stone - "Jim Hamlin Special"
Really, Really Fast (for a Guzzi) Red
GerryP
Recent import

Postby bonnevillebilly » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:38 am

There are very few, if any other brand of Motorcycle that appeals to me.
Guzzie's, is not one of them. :P
At a mater of fact Out of the whole line of Triumph models, the Bonneville line of bikes is the only ones I do like.
I love my 2001 Bonny. Hopefully, Triumph will get it's shit together, and let the dealers run there own shops.

Bill
bonnevillebilly
Recent import

Postby KenM10759 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:32 am

Odd that Suzuki-Triumph of Swansea (MA) is still listed on Triumph's website as a dealer. I like Steve and company, he's a no-BS kind of guy. For Triumph America to be telling dealers to commit a certain amount of floor space to bikes, accessories and gear, plus minimum numbers of each model (even ones they can't or don't want to sell) has put dealers off. Did that dealership move to Adrenaline?

I suppose Triumph America will argue that they want dealer commitment and a "Triumph shopping experience" that looks uniform at each dealer so we customers have the same look and feel at each dealer. Screw that. I like each dealer I had used for the very differences between them. Now I don't have a dealer within 40 miles.

It appears Triumph America has given preference to Concord Triumph (a.k.a. National Powersports) of Pembroke NH in availability and pricing, so all others are at a huge disadvantage. I don't know for a fact that Triumph America has done that or if that dealer is just working on a very thin margin to steal business, but that's the appearance to me. The net result is I have about 40 miles to Mark's Motorsports or Green River, and 50-60 miles Cycles 128, Street Stuff or Concord. It sucks because to drop my bike off for service I can't use my wife for a ride home, she will not drive that far.

Good job Triumph. I hope you see the results of your dealer policies and make a change.
KenM10759
Leaf peeper

Postby mark » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:39 am

From what I've heard, the reason National Powersports gets such preferable treatment from Triumph is because they're a huge-volume dealer. Apparently they move a LOT of bikes.

I've also heard that Triumph's dealer policies come not from Triumph NA, but from Triumph headquarters in the UK. Apparently they're trying to apply the same model they do in Europe, not considering the fact that enforcing that kind of rigorous uniformity between dealers just doesn't work in a region with such widely varying population densities as we have here in the US. Many Europeans don't realize just how vast the US is, and how unpopulated many parts are. The thinking at Triumph corporate may well be that if people from Vermont want to buy a Triumph, they can easily just pop down to Boston or New York to buy one; it's only like an hour away, isn't it? And those dealers in places like Rochester or Buffalo ought to be able to sell plenty of bikes to afford Triumph's rules if they just work a little harder; after all, they're in New York and have a population of millions to sell to, right? Unfortunately John Bloor is no longer running day to day operations at Triumph and has handed over control of the company to his son Nick, and I get the distinct impression that Nick doesn't understand international markets as well as his dad.

I just hope that Triumph management wakes up and realizes how badly they're shooting themselves in the foot before it's too late. Trouble is, they're currently selling a shitload of bikes to the urban hipster crowd so they think they're doing well, but in a couple of years when that crowd decides motorcycles are no longer fashionable, the market is going to get flooded with low-mileage used Triumphs competing with the new bikes on dealer floors. I predict sales of Tigers, Speed/Street Triples, and Daytonas won't be affected too much because that's not what the hipsters are buying, but Triumph is going to have a hard time moving Bonnevilles, Scramblers, and Thruxtons.

--mark
'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
mark
Site Admin

Postby KingOfFleece » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:23 am

Well,
Another shop here has picked up the brand. They have never been known as a bike shop so the jury is still out.
Time will tell.
KingOfFleece
Recent import

Next

Return to Discussion forum