Darken your door

Have questions about the event or the area? Want to plan a ride in with others who are coming? Here's the place for it.

Moderator: mark

Darken your door

Postby Bucky » Sun May 03, 2015 7:20 am

I'm in, but will be arriving on a non-Triumph*. Had to sell my beloved to keep the tax wolves at bay. 1099 work vs. hand to mouth and a house built when a 6 figure income was happening = how the Hell does one "put away" X each week when there is no X to spare? Anyway - that's not the end of the world, and on to more important business:

Biker Ed is a maybe for attending. He will indeed attend if his schedule will allow.

Now the challenge - Getting Uncle Charlie out of his comfort zone and up on the saddle to attend. I would suggest a barrage of emails to get him in the Bennington groove.

C E C O E 5 7
att
Ay O El dott komm

will do it.

I will be leaving out of NW CT on Friday as close to 3 pm as my sorry old arse can do. Maybe make it to the BBQ if I'm lucky. If any are passing by on US route 7, let's ride up together. Drop me a note.

Considering Serenity cabins for a stay place
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Ser ... ORM=HDRSC2

Is the kirkside closed? The web site doesn't want to light up for some reason.

Camping is awesome too, 'cept when it's 37 F in the mornings. Yeah, I know - I'm an old woose. Frostbit hands helped put me there though.

*Triumph Trophies of the less than $5K variety were very much on my buy radar, but an 04 Kawasaki Concours with a true 13K on the clock popped up at a very enticing price. me likey. Shaft drive, no shims in the valves, 95 HP and water cooled - delicious. Stem to stern fluids change, a little tweak here and there - back in the saddle. Paint is a very very dark blue that appears as black. The connie's often have some "interesting" (read - god awful) colors. Many I looked at would have required an extensive body part removal and rattle can campaign. Lucky Bucky.
Bucky
Leaf peeper

Re: Darken your door

Postby matts1050 » Sun May 03, 2015 8:39 am

Heh Heh, I have Charlies phone # :twisted:
Matt -Tracer 900GT
matts1050
Recent import

Postby bonnevillebilly » Wed May 06, 2015 8:18 am

Hey Bucky
It sure would be cool to see you guys again.
The kirk side is still open A friend has a room booked for the weekend.

Looking forward to seeing you again.

Bill
bonnevillebilly
Recent import

Postby gilligan » Wed May 06, 2015 12:41 pm

Good to hear from you Bucky and hoping we see Uncle Charlie at Bennington this year. I wimped out and got a room at the Paradise, but I'm sure others will be camping at the Greenwood. See you all in a few weeks.
gilligan
Recent import

Postby tigerwilbury » Wed May 06, 2015 7:37 pm

Wimped out? No, you smarten up a bit. I camped for the first couple years but have put those days behind me. See you at Bennington.
2018 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRT
tigerwilbury
Leaf peeper

Postby Bucky » Sat May 09, 2015 5:28 pm

bonnevillebilly wrote:
The kirk side is still open A friend has a room booked for the weekend.

Hey Billy,

I just called the Kirkside at 802 447 7596 twice, and double checked my dialing. I got the "Number not in service" recording both times, and their web site has been dead for a week or two that I have been trying.

My point being better let your friend know to check his reservation. Something "funny" going on I reckon.

The Paradise seems to be a right fine place. Weird vibe for me though - probably not seedy and run down enough for my (ahem) GQ like a muthaf---a kinda lifestyle :twisted: whereas the Kirkside has that Norman Bates / Tom Waits song / assorted crack whores, junkies, felons on the lam, barflies sleeping in their (or someone else's - no matter) barf puddle thing going for it.

-------------------------

Re-punch --- Uncle Charlie needs a pesterin' part II -
CECOE57 at Ay Oh El - you know the rest

`
`
`
Last edited by Bucky on Sat May 09, 2015 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bucky
Leaf peeper

Postby Bucky » Sat May 09, 2015 5:48 pm

I think I found why the Kirkside is no longer a motel

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/northeast ... n-downtown

Some excerpts from the article:

BENNINGTON -- The Kirkside Motor Lodge has been purchased by the Northeastern Baptist College to be used as a dormitory.
"We've got to do some work on it," said Ballard.

Uhhhh. yup

The motel was bought from Rumpelstiltskin Realty

Why am I not surprised at this?

Ballard said the dorm building will be renamed "Jehovah Jireh Hall." Jehovah Jireh, roughly translated from Hebrew, means, "The Lord Will Provide."

That would be a good thing indeed
Bucky
Leaf peeper

Postby matts1050 » Sat May 09, 2015 9:04 pm

It will be good to see you again Martin. I rode by your house last week-did you hear me beep? :mrgreen:
Matt -Tracer 900GT
matts1050
Recent import

Postby Bucky » Thu May 14, 2015 1:19 pm

Just got a call for a driving gig - SW MA to ? CA and back. Leave 5/28 and back by 6/10. This one is hard to pass up - some type of specialty load in road cases with all hotels and meals paid for, and a very generous pay package. A buddy of mine usually does these runs, and he can't say enough about how generous this gig is. At the moment it sounds like a go. I'll know more Monday. Sure would like to get my foot in the door with these folks. They're 5 miles from home, and pay like it's a "real" job, which is rare these days in most trucking employment, outside of a few union carriers that is.

Sure would like to do the B Bash, but bills is bills, and I left a maintenance man in a HUD housing project job yesterday due to being pushed too far too often. To quote the big boss as said to my boss: "He's only one person" not to mention I'm anything but 25 years old and leap out of bed every morning full of piss and vinegar. More like - "Damn, why didn't I listen to the old man and could have retired fat dumb and happy ten years ago. Where's that damned Ibuprofen? :nuts:

Anywho - time will tell. Sure would suck to miss you Bennington Bash folks, but duty may call.
Bucky
Leaf peeper

Postby Bucky » Sat May 23, 2015 2:02 pm

CA trip canceled.

Looks like I'm back in the saddle to Bennington. Yay!

I'm planning on Thursday pm through Sunday am Greenwoods camping. Extended forecast calling for mid 50s night temps, and I do loves me a good campfire, so either way.

I'm also game for paying half / sharing someone's Paradise or Bennington Motor Inn room.

Whatevah.
Bucky
Leaf peeper

Postby matts1050 » Sat May 23, 2015 2:39 pm

Glad you're coming. Were you able to roust Charlie?
Matt -Tracer 900GT
matts1050
Recent import

Postby Bucky » Sun May 24, 2015 9:15 am

No Charlie this year.
Bucky
Leaf peeper

Postby matts1050 » Sun May 24, 2015 3:26 pm

:mope:
Matt -Tracer 900GT